Activation Partners are required to provide targeted usage reports for Salesforce Audience Studio mutual customers on a monthly basis no later than the 10th day of the month following the close of the previous unreported month (e.g. Report February 2019 usage no later than March 10, 2019). Usage reports must be provided in Salesforce Audience Studio required format as described below.
The following solution is provided for the purpose of automation vs. manually uploading files each month. Your technical team should be able to schedule delivery to S3.
If you are unable to automate using the S3 option, we may provide you with access to the UI to manually upload a file each month. Please submit a ticket to request access if you do not yet have access to Activation > Usage Reporting.
The monthly file should be provided as a CSV and should contain usage (impressions) for the previous month aggregated by segmentid. One file per month and one record per segment within columns provided in the exact order as follows.
- Date column: Must be in Text (text format) & YYYY-MM-DD and should be provided as the first column
- Segment ID: Must be in General (text format) only one ID and no commas etc. This is the Salesforce Audience Studio segment id and what we would refer to as long uid and should be provided as the second column
- Impressions: Must be in General (text format), whole numbers. This should be provided as the third column
If any additional information is included in the file, it must be included after the the required information as described above. For example, campaign name, campaign id, etc. may be included as the fourth and fifth column.
Note: the same segmentid may be included multiple times, but only one segmentid per row is allowed. Multiple segments in one row is not supported.
Delivery Location and File Naming
After April 15, 2019, please be prepared to have files delivered to your designated S3 location. If you are transitioning from an alternative reporting method, such as customer self-reported, please inform us in advance when you plan to start sending to S3 so we can update your configuration.
When transitioning from customer self-reported, you may only transition between the 14th and end of the month to avoid duplicate usage reports as customers will be uploading files between 1st and 12th of the month.
File Path and File Naming Convention
- <partnerdirectory>/ is your designated S3 location. For example, if the partner is Krux, we may have a location titled partner-krux. If you do not know what your designated S3 location is, please review the S3 Credentials article, or submit a support ticket and we'll inform you of how to obtain this information.
- billing-usage-report/ is where all reporting month subfolders should reside
- yyyy-mm/ is the subfolder representing the reporting month. See the examples section below for more information.
- yyyy-mm_usage_report.csv is the file name for the month of usage. See the examples section below for more information.
Data to Include or Not Include
- Targeted Impressions: segments coming from Audience Studio that were used to target a campaign against within the previous month
- When boolean logic (AND, OR, AND NOT) is used to combine segments, impressions should be reported as follows
- AND or AND NOT: Include a row for each segment where the full amount of impressions is attributed to each row
- OR: Include a row for each segment and an allocation of impressions based on the delivered impressions for each row
- Customers may be charged significant overages when the wrong type of data is included in usage reporting. A common example of this is when usage is provided for audience impressions served vs. targeted impressions served.
- Multiple segments per row / line / record as this will generate an error and the file will not be processed
- Excluding required information
- Including the appropriate data in the wrong order
Example use case
- Consumer 1234 is included is Segment A, Segment B, Segment C, Segment D, Segment E, Segment F, Segment G
- Segment A, B, C, D, E, F and G are sent to Activation Partner X
- Salesforce Audience Studio Customer uses Partner X to target campaigns for February 2019
- Campaign 1: Targeted to Segment A (A123)
- Campaign 2: Targeted to Segment B (B123) OR Segment C (C123)
- Campaign 3: Targeted to Segment D (D123) AND Segment E (E123)
- Campaign 4: Targeted to Segment A (A123) AND NOT F (F123)
- Consumer 1234 views 10 impression for each campaign on February 12, 2019 and 5 impression on March 1, 2019
What we would expect to be included in the file that gets delivered by the 5th of March 2019 that includes targeted impressions for February 2019.
- A123 is included once with 20 impressions because is was used to target 2 different campaigns with 10 impressions each within the month of February 2019.
- The additional 5 impressions for each campaign are not included because they occurred in March 2019
- The ID for 'Segment G' is not included in the file because it was not used to target a campaign in February 2019
- The impressions associated to B123 and C123 would be based on the ratio of the campaign delivery logic and what the ad server credits for the delivery.
- If the campaign delivered 20 impressions, and the ratio was 50/50, then we'd expect 10 impressions for both segments.
- If the ratio was 70/30, then we'd expect 14 impressions for the first segment and 6 impressions for the second segment.
- If 2 segments were delivered that had the exact same users in them, it would be based off the ratio of whatever segment the ad server credits for the delivery
If you are unable to automate delivery of monthly files to S3, you may use the UI to upload usage. Usage may be provided for the previous month usage from the 1st to the 12th of the month.
If you miss the 12th of the month deadline, you may navigate to the history section to upload historical usage for up to the past three months of usage. Historical usage will be included in the next month's billing cycle.
Usage dates are reported separate from billing dates, so customers will be able to differentiate between when they were billed (usage was processed) and when the usage occurred.
If there is no usage to report for mutual customers, you may select the 'No usage to report' option.
If usage is not reported for two consecutive months, your configuration will be updated to require mutual customers to self-report usage. If customers do not report usage on time, their data activation may be restricted. You may see our Self-Reported Usage File Upload and Restricted Activation article for more information.