What is a transaction segment?
A transaction segment is used to build an audience of users who have purchased a product at a specific price, quantity and transaction date. You can then retarget, suppress or analyze that audience at a later time based on their previous purchases.
What is a use case for transaction segments?
A video game retail site has a Black Friday sale on game systems. The retailer can build a segment of customers who purchased a game system on Black Friday. In the weeks leading up to Christmas, this transaction segment can be used as the basis for a retargeting campaign which will advertise new games for the purchased system. Alternatively, this segment could suppress users who have already purchased a system. This ensures that they are not shown ads for an item they already purchased.
What is required to use transaction segments?
- The Salesforce Audience Studio Control Tag must fire on all confirmation pages
- A DataLayer for collecting transaction attributes and values must be available onsite
- Transaction segments must be enabled in your instance
- Reach out to your account owner for more information on enabling transaction segments
- A test environment is beneficial to run test purchases and verify data collection
The following data points are required for transaction data to be collected in Audience Studio:
- Price – must be available on confirmation page
- Quantity – must be available on confirmation page
- Transaction Date – automatically collected
- One additional transaction attribute of your choice is required
How do I view transaction data on a page?
Data collection for transaction segments fires via the transaction.gif pixel. As such, transaction segments will not be seen in the Control Tag Helper. This separate pixel call can be viewed using tools such as Chrome Developer Tools.
Once the DevTools panel appears click the “Network” tab, then search for “transaction.gif”. If the transaction pixel is firing, it will appear at the bottom of the panel.