Salesforce Audience Studio supports ingestion and use of data provided by parties other than the direct Audience Studio client. In this case, the data is generally treated as "third-party data". Third-party data is stored in a special account within Audience Studio and can be made available to any Audience Studio client, with agreement of the third-party data provider.
By default, Audience Studio will allow the data to be generally used by all Audience Studio clients. However, Audience Studio can support certain datasets to just one or several named clients and will provision specific destination folders and taxonomies to handle those cases. If there are any restrictions on what clients can use the data, or if special paperwork is required, please inform Audience Studio.
2. Integration Models
This section describes the various integration models open to third-party data providers.
2.1 Server-to-Server Integration [Preferred Method]
The Server-to-Server (S2S) integration method involves three steps:
- Cookie Matching: Audience Studio and the third-party data provider synch their respective user IDs via "Cookie-Matching". This is described in Section 2.1.1
- Data Files: The data provider sends daily data files to Audience Studio's Amazon S3 account. Full and daily refreshes are preferred. This is described in Section 2.1.2
- Segment Taxonomy: The third-party data provider sends Audience Studio a meta-file containing: segment ids, names, categories and prices periodically, as it changes. This is described in detail in Section 3.
2.1.1 Cookie Matching
Cookie matching is the process of syncing user IDs between Audience Studio and the data provider. The user match can be initiated either by the data provider or by Audience Studio. In either case, Audience Studio will keep the user match table.
If Partner wants Audience Studio to initiate this call, the following process should be followed.
- Partner provides Audience Studio with a cookie-match URL
- Audience Studio provides Partner a user match pixel which Partner should redirect to from the above pixel. This should be a
HTTP 302 redirectto the Audience Studio pixel with the partner user ID.
- Audience Studio fires Partner's cookie-match URL on client's web sites. All cookie-match pixels are frequency-capped to 3 per day per user.
Please contact the Salesforce Audience Studio Solutions team to get the Audience Studio pixel where Partner should redirect to after including their user ID.
If Partner wants to initiate this call, the following process should be followed:
- Audience Studio provides partner a user match pixel which partner should fire from all across their network.
- The above pixel fire should include the partner user ID.
Note: For Mobile data, Audience Studio uses IDFAs/Advertising Id as the unique identifier. There is no cookie syncing required if the partner data is available by IDFA/Advertising Id.
2.1.2 Data Files
The data files present the format in which partners should provide data to Audience Studio keyed off the partner's user ID.
Audience Studio will provide an Amazon S3 location and the format to ingest these data files from the partner.
The format for data files is:
user_id^S1, S2, S3
user_id = The data provider user ID
table S#_ = IDs of data provider segments that match names in taxonomy file
For Mobile data, the partner
user_id can be IDFA/Advertising Id.
Please refer to Section 3 for details on the taxonomy file.
The Audience Studio standard integration supports incremental refresh of the users in the daily files. Please be advised that the associated segments are always updated in full and not incrementally. This combination of incremental user refresh and full segment refresh enables the flexibility to add and delete segments for a user.
Contents of Day1 file:
Contents of Day2 file:
Data will reflect the following after final file delivery:
2.2. Pixel-based Integration
For pixel based integration, the following steps should be followed:
- Partner provides Audience Studio with a pixel to fire that will transmit segments to Audience Studio.
- Audience Studio will fire Partner pixel via Audience Studio's tag management solution.
- The Partner pixel must redirect to an Audience Studio pixel after appending the segments that a user belongs to.
- Audience Studio will be able to associate these segments from the above redirect.
Please contact your Audience Studio Representative on the Salesforce Audience Studio Solutions team for the Audience Studio pixel to redirect.
3. Segment Taxonomy File
Regardless of the integration approach, the data provider will provide Audience Studio with a meta-file in .csv format.
Audience Studio will provide an Amazon S3 location and the format to ingest these taxonomy files from the partner.
The file should include the following:
category 1 (optional), category 2 (optional), segment_name, segment_id, price.
You can send 2 parent levels for a segment. In the example below, Category 1 and Category 2 are optional but supported in the Audience Studio Platform. If you have allowed for segment targeting at the node level, you will have a segment_name, segment_id, and price, so make sure that the information is in the correct columns. For example, the data provider may wish to only have the end nodes selectable (eg: Male, Female), in which case there are only two entries for that Category. However, if the data provider would like to enable targeting at the category level as well as the child level, then the category should be listed as a segment and include a price. In the example below, the Auto category is targetable and therefore has a segment name, id, and price. However only specific types of credit cards are targetable, and not the Credit Card category.
|Category 1||Category 2||
|Top Level||Second Level||Segment to select||ID that matches data file||CPM price|
|example: Demographics||example: Gender||example: Female||example: 11111||example: 1.00|
|example: Intent||example: Auto|| example: 333333
|example: Intent||example: Auto||example: Toyota||example: 44444||example: 4.00|
|example: Intent||example: Auto||example: Honda||example: 55555||example: 4.00|
|example: Finance||example: Credit Card||example: Amex||example: 66666||example: 2.50|
|example: Finance||example: Credit Card||example: Visa||example: 77777||example: 2.50|
Note: if you are adding the categories, the last three columns must always be:
segment_name, segment_id, price
Some other considerations:
- All records must have the same number of fields when split by a comma (",")
- All segment IDs must be unique
- IDs can be alpha, numeric, or alpha-numeric, as long as they match the IDs in the data file.
- Do not include Data Provider name as a Category, it will already be listed as the top level of the taxonomy tree.
- The segment names and groups will be displayed in Audience Studio's UI to operators. We highly recommend using clear, logical names for audience building.
- All CPMs need to be in USD ($)
- Please avoid all capital letters. ‘Sentence Case’ or ‘Capitalize Every Word’ both work.
- There is a 256 character limit per each: Category, Sub-Category, or Segment Name field” The system will reject anything 256 characters or above.
- Escape any fields with "quotes" when commas are used. For ex: House Hold Income,"$50,000 - $100,000",1234,1
4. Taxonomy Updates
Audience Studio supports taxonomy updates for new segments, removed segments, or for price changes.
Taxonomy updates should be a full refresh with every segment indicated in the taxonomy. Updates are not supported more than once a quarter. To request an update, submit your .csv file via the Submit a Request form, or by sending to the Salesforce Audience Studio Support team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
5. Usage Report
The Audience Studio monitors client data usage in ad servers and other execution platforms by ingesting log files, API, or Impression Tracking reports that contain the Krux User ID. By matching these IDs back to segment rules, the platform is able to report on the actual usage of data by each client of each data provider's segments.
Audience Studio generates third-party data provider usage reports monthly. We do our best effort to provide reporting by the 30th day following the end of the previous month. The format of the reporting is shown below.
Salesforce Audience Studio Customer, Segment Name, Segment ID, CPM, Impressions, Cost
If you need help with Third-party Data Provider Integration, don't hesitate to contact the Salesforce Audience Studio Support team at email@example.com.