What is user matching?
Salesforce Audience Studio works with many partners in the advertising technology ecosystem. Salesforce Audience Studio can receive user-level data from partners (e.g. 3rd Party Data Providers) or we can send user-level data to partners (e.g. Activation Partners). Both Salesforce Audience Studio and partners use their own user ID to identify users. To know which Krux User ID (KUID) corresponds to a partner’s user ID for the same person, we need to user match. Either Salesforce, the partner, or both, fire the other party’s user match pixel when their own pixel fires on site for the user match to happen. This is how the other party is able to know which user ID is associated to the user currently on the page. Either, or both, of the parties create and store a “user match table” containing the matched user IDs of both parties.
What is a User Match Rate?
The user match rate is defined as the percentage of users of party A known to party B. In the most common use case, this is the percentage of users in a segment that we can match our Krux User ID to a partner’s user ID. The Salesforce Audience Studio segment match rate excludes Safari and app IDs (more information below).
The higher the user match rate with partners, the greater the scale when activating segments in campaigns. Greater audience scale creates more options for managing and optimizing campaign tactics such as segmentation, personalized messaging, frequency, omni channel journey, etc.
What Match Rates can be achieved? Why is my match rate low?
We typically see match rates between 60-90% in the Partner Management UI. Factors that prevent a 100% match rate:
- Are you firing the user match pixel on all pages?
- Do you have high cookie churn caused by blocking or deleting cookies?
- Does your audience overlap well with the DSP or sync partner?
- Does your audience include many KUIDs associated with a device ID (e.g. from mobile apps)? If the partner cannot recognize device IDs, then there will be no matches for those ID's, resulting in a lower match rate.
- Does your audience have a high number of Safari users? By default, Safari blocks all 3rd party cookies, so Safari users can typically not be matched to partners at all. As such, we don't send Safari devices to partners.
If you are comparing the segment population in Audience Studio to the segment population in the partner's UI, consider the following:
1. Differences between lookback windows or date ranges
2. Differences between how cookies or devices are counted
3. Whether the devices pushed have consented (the data sharing flag is required for shareable partners)
4. Whether the partner is including or excluding certain data types like Safari or MAIDs
What does Salesforce do to improve match rates?
By default, we run user match pixels on client’s websites through the Control Tag for all partners a client is working with. We fire it on all pages with a frequency cap of 3 times over a 24-hour period for a given user. This will ensure return users are matched, but will not overwhelm client’s sites with unnecessary tag fires. We set the tag to fire "immediately" to make sure users are matched before leaving the page.
It will take up to 30 days for the match rate to reach its peak after a new user match pixel has been activated.
Unlike first party data that is exclusively available to the client who owns it, user match tables are shared across all Salesforce Audience Studio clients. This way, each client can benefit from the user match pixels being fired on other client’s websites.
Salesforce has one of the largest footprints in the industry, thus providing exceptionally high match rates. Match rates can vary from country to country though, depending on both Salesforce's and the partner’s footprint in that market.
User matching with Salesforce Marketing Cloud (SFMC)
User matching with Salesforce Marketing Cloud (SFMC) is special as these user matches are only done on account level. They are not being shared between different accounts or clients.
Also this user matching primarily happens via e-mails. Due to these two factors, match rates between Audience Studio and SFMC will be significantly lower than match rates with other partners.