Attributes are the building blocks of audience segmentation for targeting and insights. Attributes also serve as the primary contextual, behavioral and interest indicators in Journey Insights and other reports.
Attribute Management enables business users to activate newly created attributes generated from website and mobile data, organize data for audience segmentation, and review attribute configuration settings applied by Salesforce.
There are multiple types of attributes, including page, user, transaction, media, and event attributes. Page, user, transaction and media may be managed using Attribute Management. Each attribute type has it's own unique set of configuration options and default behavior. While Attribute Management provides a consolidated list to manage, you may only be able to perform specific actions on specific attribute types.
Some of the configuration options associated to each attribute type is available as read-only data and is restricted to Salesforce configuration only. In these cases, please submit a ticket linking to the filtered list of attributes to modify or direct link to a specific attribute to modify.
- Page Attributes: This is the default attribute type captured from websites and mobile apps. This type of attribute supports recency and frequency rules in segment builder.
- User Attributes: This is the default attribute type for imported data and may be configured for data captured via websites and mobile apps where applicable. For example, when sending people identifiers, such as hashed email address.
- Transaction Attributes: This is the default attribute type for data capture configured as transaction data. Transactions require a quantity and price and is configured by a Salesforce Technical Architect.
- Media: This is the default attribute type for data captured via impression tracking. A default list of attributes are supported.
|Media||Yes||No||No, Active by default||No||No||No|
Edit vs. Bulk Edit
Individual attributes may be modified to change display names, and in some cases category, or set active / inactive status. Alternatively, you may use the filter options to find the list of attributes you'd like to manage and select multiple or all to bulk edit multiple at one time. In the bulk edit option, you may choose to modify category and / or set the active / inactive status.
Filter and Sort
Use the options at the top of the page to find the list of attributes you'd like to manage. Search by keyword through all fields or limit to a specific field, such as category to refine your search. Select the filter icon for additional filter options such as attribute type, recently created (last 7/30/90 days), or active status. Use the 'clear' option to use the default search criteria within the filter or across all filter options. Select 'Go' to apply your filter criteria.
Common Use Cases
Activate Newly Created Attributes
Attributes collected via websites and mobile apps need to be made active upon initial creation. Instead of submitting a ticket to Salesforce to activate a newly created attribute, you may activate using the Attribute Management tools. Filter items based on Active = No, select one or more to modify, and choose to make the attribute active.
Note: Media Attributes are active by default and currently cannot be made inactive.
If a newly created attribute requires any one of the following, please submit a ticket or contact your Salesforce Success Manager to configure on your behalf before making active.
- Multiple values are being captured for a since attribute upon a single page view and need to be captured as multiple separate values based on a delimiter in the value and you require a delimiter other than comma. The default delimiter is comma separated values. (e.g. Jen|Jennie|Jennifer) In this example, the delimiter would be pipe '|' instead of comma ','.
- The values being captured need to be configured as integer or date (required format for date yyyy-mm-dd) instead of string which is the default data type.
- The data category should be user instead of page (e.g. a user id or hashed email address)
- You are sending a people identifier that uniquely identifies individual users in a pseudonymous way
Categorize Newly Created Attributes
Newly created page and user attributes display as 'Uncategorized' in segment builder. In order to group attributes in meaningful categories within segment management, you may assign an existing category or create a new category for grouping page and user attributes.
Once categorized, you may view the groupings under the 1st party section with Manage Segments, create new segment.
Change the Display Name of an Attribute
When attributes are captured, they are captured as key / value pairs. The key is a unique identifier and is used as the display name of the attribute by default. The display name may be modified and the unique key will be retained. Modify display names for improved contextual reference and ease of use in segment building and when referencing in insights.
Export Attribute List
The export option is located in the top right section above the attribute list and the exported file will include all details for the filtered list of attribute results as displayed on the page.
Permissions and Access Levels
Users may access by navigating to Manage > Manage Attributes. The link previously titled 'Attributes' is now titled 'Attribute Report'.
SuperUsers have access to modify all editable fields.
End user permissions will be displayed on the account permissions page (currently only available as waffle flags in Django admin). There will be a full access user permission as well as a read only permission.
- Full Access: Users have access to modify display name, active / inactive status, and category
- Read-Only: Read-only users have access to filter the list, view the list, and choose edit to view additional details about each attribute. However, none of the fields will be editable for a read-only user.