Why bulk upload segments?
The Salesforce DMP offers a bulk upload feature for loading segments into Konsole. The user can bulk define segments and its rules via a CSV file, and load them into Konsole. Contact your Salesforce DMP account team for a CSV template and directions on how to bulk upload segments. Leverage bulk upload segments if you plan to build a large quantity of segments at one time.
Segments created via bulk uploads are rule based. Rules are to be defined in the CSV file you provide to Salesforce. Rules or attribute values in the CSV file must exist in the Salesforce DMP before Salesforce can create the segments. It’s important to model the bulk upload file from existing attributes. If there is an attribute missing, the entire upload will fail to process.
Note: only first-party attributes can be used in bulk segments.
Can I edit segments created via bulk uploads in Konsole?
Yes you can. Unlike platform segments, bulk uploaded segments are rule based. Therefore, you can edit segment rules in Konsole for bulk-uploaded segments.
Can I edit segment rules via bulk upload?
You can utilize a bulk upload for editing existing segments.This would work as follows:
- Bulk upload document will need to include current and exact segment name
- ALL rules need to be included, not just the new addition
- Rules that are not included will be deleted
- The segment is essentially deleted and re-uploaded with the new rules
There is a separate CSV you have to upload if you wish to change only the segment metadata, such as the name and category. Please contact your Salesforce DMP account team for instructions on changing segment metadata.
Can I bulk delete segments?
Yes you can. Contact your Salesforce DMP support team with a list of the segment IDs you want to delete.
Will bulk segment uploads be reflected in the segment history?
Can I interchange enable segments to certain partners via bulk segment uploads?
You can enable bulk-uploaded segments for interchange in Konsole, but you will not be able to define that via the bulk upload CSV.
What type of segments can I load via bulk segment uploads?
Standard and Real-time leveraging first party attributes only.
What is the default refresh set for Bulk Segments in Konsole?
1 in 30 days
Bulk Segment Instructions
- All attribute values in the spreadsheet must exist and be enabled in the Salesforce DMP.
- If the values have not already been added to the Attribute Tree in the UI, they will need to be created beforehand.
- Only first-party attributes can be used in bulk segments.
The following describes the process for creating a CSV file to auto-generate segments from large-volume rules.
The output should be a CSV (UTF-8 encoded, no headers) file where each row represents the rule-set for one segment.
- Column A of the each row should contain the segment name.
- Column B should be the Type
- Column C should be the Category
- Column D should be the Sub-Category
- Column E should be 1 if the segment is real-time, 0 if it is not
- Column F should be 1 if the segment should be enabled for O&O onsite, 0 if it is not (I can show you how to bulk enable for Connect partners)
Each subsequent column is a rule “nest”, which is a string that contains the attributes and attribute values to be used. The variable names used must be exact matches to the variable names shown in the UI.
To define a nest, use the following operators in the content:
The rule: City=San Francisco OR City=New York
This would translate to: City=San Francisco|City=New York
(Age=18-25 or 26-35) OR (Age=46-55) AND (Device=Computer)
should be set as:
The rule nest:
Search=SF Apartment OR City=San Francisco AND State=CA AND House_Type= Flat OR Apartment OR Studio
Would be represented by:
Age=18-25 AND Device=Mobile AND NOT Device=Computer
should be set as:
The variable names used must be exact matches to the variable names shown in the Salesforce DMP. Please use the attribute tree (Manage>Capture>Attributes) as an easy reference.
Rules for multiple segments can be combined in the same sheet. Each segment should be represented on a separate row.
Bulk Segment Template